Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor
classic

adding back unused postage

It happens frequently with our company, where someone wants something mailed. We envelope it and add postage (usually by a postage label).

Then they change their minds and want to deliver it themselves. The postage label is pulled off and discarded. Waste of money - say $1.48 each time .

Can this unused postage be added back to the balance?

thanks

New Contributor
1stClass

Re: adding back unused postage

In a word, yes!

Here is how.

From the PB FAQs:

"How do I get a refund for postage?

If you have spoiled or misprinted postage and are looking for a refund you may download and print the USPS form 3533 entitled "Application and Voucher for Refund of Postage, Fees and Services" or get a copy of it from your local post office.

To do this:

Visit USPS.com

Click  "All On-line PDF Forms In Numeric Order"

Scroll down to PS Form 3533.pdf and open it

Print and complete the form. Then, take it to your Post Office along with the misprinted stamp
Note: Any refunds issued are solely at the discretion of the USPS and are based on USPS regulations. Pitney Bowes has no authorization to provide refunds for misprinted or unused postage. "

Frequent Contributor
Guardian

So basically if you want to spend twice the amount of the spoiled postage in time and effort and still have a chance of being told nope, then yes.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
New Contributor
classic

Thanks for the repsonse.

At  $1-2.00 each time 10 times per week, it seems worth it to fill a form out at the end of the week, and submit it.

Alot of the unused postage does get used on other mail. But there is still waste.

So this is a definate option to recoup the cost.

Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor
Guardian

You are welcome. For that much spoiled postage, definitely for sure its worth it but keep in mind that with that much frequency they might be a bit more hesitant to help you.

I know from my postmaster out here that some companies that insure their shipments and get alot of claims filed get most of them rejected eventually. I would definately try though for that much postage, I didn't catch how much you had said was being wasted and that's why I though it would be a waste of time.

elleng

When you say deliver it themselves do you mean take it to the post office or hand deliver it?  Because if you are taking it to the post office you can still use metered mail.  If it is for business they should still be able to use the meter, if it is personal they shouldn't be using the meter in the first place, is my understanding.
New Contributor
CatlinPBT

It's also to my understanding, at least with our Post Office, that the postage must be attached to the envelope or what not.  They won't take anything that's been ripped off the envelope. 
Frequent Contributor
Guardian

@elleng

You are correct in that meters are not for personal use but if you are a small home-based business you can have it but if you are not using enough volume, it may not be worth it. What I mean by take it to the post office is that you can have your mailings ready and walk up to the counter or the APC and postage them there and drop them off. Of course, you can deliver the metered mail to the post office that is a given.

@CatlinPBT

You are correct in that they want to see where the postage is before they credit it but it also depends greatly on your relationship with your local post office and how well they know you or have a solid reputation with you. In mine for example, I just drop it off in an envelope addressed to my post office supervisor and when he gets it, he processes it and done. But of course that is an exception unless you have similar relationship and 7+ years reputation setup with them where practically everyone there knows you.

thanks for both of your additions. 

WastOfTime

You can no longer download form 3533 from USPS.com. You can only get it from the post office. :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
FNSBSDmailer

Wow. You're really nice.

Around here, once I get the mail, it's mine. They don't get it back, especially if I have put postage on it! You know by now that you don't get it all back when you go for a refund. You'd be better off asking them for the money back if they want to deliver it themselves. In this economy that kind of frivilous waste should not be tolerated.

======-::[[[ Dave ]]]::-======