JDB
JDB

address correction requested

Long ago, we used to have "address correction requested" printed on our envelopes.  We would get a card in the mail with address corrections for a small fee.

Is this service still available?  If so,  what does it cost now?

I just took over the newsletter for an organizaiton and am sure some of the addresses are incorrect, but the mail is not being returned either.    Would this be a way to find out new addresses?

JDB

PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

Re: address correction requested

Hello JDB!

Thanks for the questions and congratulations on taking over the newsletter for your organization!

The endorsement you are referring to is "Address Service Requested".  For First-Class Mail, the piece is forwarded to the new address if the change of address was filed within the past 12 months.  You then receive a notification which costs 50-cents.

If the recipient moved more than 12 months ago, then the mailpiece is returned to you with the new address at no charge.

And if no change of address was filed at all, the mailpiece comes back to you with reason for nondelivery (at no charge).

Perhaps the mail is not being returned to you, even though you think some of the addresses could be incorrect, because the newsletters are being mailed as Standard Mail?  You see, Standard Mail (which is frequently how newsletters and advertisements are mailed) that is undeliverable as addresses is disposed of by the Postal Service.  The Postal Service does not forward or return Standard Mail unless the mailer has put a specific endorsement such as "Address Service Requested" on the mailpiece.

Depending on how many pieces you're mailing, and how they are being mailed, I wouldn't say that using an endorsement is the best way to find out new addresses.  I say this because you only find out AFTER you've mailed the pieces.  And to the end, the pieces might come back, might be delayed for delivery or might be forwarded.  A more proactive, pre-mailing option to check for new addresses before you address the mailpieces would be an NCOALink product such as our VeriMove or AddressRightNow solutions.  In the long run, solutions such as these are found to be most cost-effective and efficient.

My advise would be to first see how your newsletters are being mailed, e.g. First-Class or Standard Mail.  And if they are being mailed at full-rate postage, you might want to consider implementing a solution that will validate the addresses for accuracy and moves, barcode and sort the mailing so that you not only meet the Move Update regulation for discounted First-Class Mail and Standard Mail, but also because you'll earn the best postage discounts possible for your mailing.

In your "research" if you have additional questions, please let me know, or feel free to reach out to your PB consultant for more direct assistance!

Good luck!

Elizabeth

smwlu26

[ Edited ]

Hi!   What is VeriMove? 

Shellee

PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

[ Edited ]

Hello Shellee!

VeriMove.Net is a solution that is linked to our SmartMailer and AddressRight Pro solutions that checks for recipient change of addresses against the USPS NCOA.  SmartMailer and AddressRight Pro not only standardize the addresses, but also does the presorting and creates the postal statements so that mailers can qualify for the lowest postage pricing possible for their applications, e.g., automation / barcoded discounts.

Your Pitney Bowes consultant can provide you with more detailed information and assist you in determining what solutions will best meet your mailing applications and business needs at the most cost-effective price.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth