Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Visitor
GinnyM

Incoming Mail

We seem to be getting a lot of misdirected mail at our address.  There is some computer system that has the real persons name, their street address, then it goes to our company address and zip and we are getting tons of bills from hospitals, medical facilities, banks, etc. that are not ours.  When I put it in the mail as return to sender, it comes back to me again. 

Is there someway to get our address eliminated from whatever program this is that's being used.  It's happening for all sorts of different companies, not just one.

PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

Re: Incoming Mail

Hi Ginny! 

That is actually quite a problem!  And while it is a hassel for you, I am also concerned because hospitals have to abide by very stict privacy regulations.  Having a bunch of hospital bills go to the wrong address is not a good situation.

While there are sights that mailers can go to in order to be taken off certain mailing lists, this would not be the case for the type of mail (First-Class Mail) that you're receiving.

Because of the confidentiality of some of the mail you're receiving in error, you may want to contact the actual mailers, even though it appears there are several.  You also can work with the Postal Service, perhaps the addressing folks in Memphis, to help you assess the situation.  It seems your address is very similar to others.

I will look further into this for you and let you know if I can find out anything futher.

Elizabeth

Regular Visitor
August

GinnyM-

I occasionally have this issue with misdirected mail, and have had it come back after marking RTS.  Do you cross out or cover up the imprinted bar code on these pieces?  Any that I have done this with do not come back.

PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

August!

Thanks for your feedback to Ginny!

Have a great day!

Elizabeth

New Contributor
swedes1

i do this as well there are 2 barcodes 1 front 1 back...it wont be machinable then...it will be sorted by hand and if marked rts will not come back...hopefully then you get removed...
mary moore
Visitor
Mila_K

GinnyM - let me clarify - do you receive mail addressed to YOUR street address, just wrong company/person - or the mail addressed to SOMEONE ELSE'S address but delivered to your location? If they (USPS) deliver a letter/package that should go to 123 Main St. to 987 Main St. instead - it is not a problem with software or computer program - it is a problem with USPS not doing their job of appropriate mail sorting. We have it all the time, and it is getting worse!
PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

HI!

Thanks for your comments!

I'd like to add-on a bit, and perhaps clarify....

I think what you're saying is that by crossing off the barcode (?) that the mailpiece can't be easily read by the barcode sorters at the post office so the post office needs to look at the actual address and get the mailpiece where it belongs....

"Machinable" means that a mailpiece has the right dimensions and physical characteristics to be sorted by mail processing equipment at the postal service.

Elizabeth

PB-Emeritus
PB-Elizabeth

HI Gina and Mila!

Thanks for your comments / feedback!

Sometimes the type of font, especially if it is script or even handwritten, how when print from other pages show through, make it difficult for the processing equipment to read the address and spray the right barcode.

But to Mila's point, yes, sometimes errors happen!

Elizabeth